Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Clogg Be-Gone!

Here is a quick update!
1. I didn't post any new blogs last week (and I missed it!) because I am now a nanny for a sweet couple of kids in my church! Monday through Friday I play doll house, Play Dough, Shape Shifter and "Are you okay?" (a game we made up where we just ask "Are you okay?" back and forth) with my new friends Ema and Johnny. I took last week to settle into nannying and catch up on my work with FHG.
2. I had blogs planned, but none were scheduled so I can't wait to get them rolling this week!
3. I saw Alice in Wonderland! Why should I care you might ask? Well, honestly, you shouldn't but, I strongly suggest it! I am a huge AIW fan and have read both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass numerous times! I will say it followed the books very closely and Tim Burton did a fantastic job!
Anywho onto the important stuff! Josh and I live in an apartment complex that was built years ago. Although it is old, it has a garbage disposal and when Josh and I moved in that was one of the first things that made life in the 1 bed/1 bath home easier. But, this garbage disposal was causing us lots of trouble about a week and half-a-go.
First the water wouldn't drain out of the sink. It would literally fill up and take a long time to drain. We keep our drying rack in the other side of the sink so that the water from the dishes drains instead of leaking onto the counter. When I turned the garbage disposal on the water drained but shot back into the other sink. I then proceeded to clean all the dishes again and run hot water through the sink for about 10 min.
Next, came the food. Josh and I rarely put any food down the garbage disposal. Mainly crumbs left over from scraping the un-eaten food into the trash. But, for some odd reason when using the garbage disposal food would shoot back up the sink and drench the clean dishes in food. I repeated the same process above but, this time I ran the water for about 20 min.
Finally, the smell. Running hot water would cleanse the garbage disposal or seem to for a couple of days. But, the smell of eggs, cheese, and other rotted products would split our noise hairs and send us into a gagging fest.
Enter a solution! Finally we had enough, I took a chance and put some liquid sink cleaner (Drain Pro Gel) down the sink. I wasn't sure if it would damage the garbage disposal before, but I found Drain Pro Gel that was kitchen sink safe. After a treatment of cleansing, I mixed some bleach and hot water in a pot and poured it down the drain slowly, followed by a round of steaming water again. I let the water run through for about 5 min and then did a final round of the Drain Pro Gel. After the Drain Pro Gel set, I ran the water and the sink wasn't filling up anymore and it was smelling nice and clean. I let the water run for about 20 min. ( I know what your thinking, "Kelsey, what a waste." But, I can't stress enough how bad the smell was.) and at the end of it all no more gaggy food clog!
As you can see here...this our savior! We are so thankful for this little beaut that we found to save our house from a horrid smell. Drain Pro Gel or since we are such close friends now...DPG really did the job and I would recommend it. Overall, the whole food clog situation took close to two hours to fix, but it definitely was worth it to not have nasty egg shells and cheese float up into our sink! Again, we have no idea where it came from. Spooky.

J and I have taken some steps to make sure that this clog, never happens again. Although we aren't sure where most of the food came from (J thinks it came from the people who lived here before us.) we want our sink to run smoothly. Here are the rules:

  • Under no circumstance are large pieces of food to go down the garbage disposal. My motto: If you can pick it up with a fork, you can throw it in the trash! Thank you.
  • Running hot water to give the drain a nice cleansing after scrubbing the dishes. This is more of friendly check-up to see how our little disposal is doing.
  • No dairy products allowed! Gross. We feel like that was the main issue. The smell was vomit-inducing and the clean-up was annoying.

Three rules for a happy garbage disposal! I beat you, you nasty egg/cheese/lint(?) clog!! HA HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment