Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

Glass "How-To"!

Whose excited for Labor Day weekend?! This will be such a fun weekend! A new book to read, some fun crafts, and hopefully good weather! This is a late night "How-To" on etching glass. It is a fun way to spruce up jars, mugs, plates, serving dishes...just about anything that is glass and it comes in a bottle so it's super easy!

Step 1: Pick out stickers in the font you want, then apply to the glass. I picked some stickers I had left over from my wedding book. Whoo hoo! Saving money!

Next, tape off margins for glass etch. This makes it easier to make a perfect shape.

This is the Glass Etch product I chose to use, "Armour Etch" and a paint brush I had.

After applying the margins begin adding generous amounts of the etch. I suggest 3 coats, I am so used to saying that because I say it all the time at my job, "3 coats gives it the most professional look" ha!

Let the etch sit for 5 to 10 minutes, this allows for the etch to really take to the glass.


Rinse. Excuse the chipped manicure.

After rinsing begin to peel away tape and stickers, slowly. Also, I found using a Q-Tip to clean the letters really helped making the result POP!

TA DA!!! I know...I know...this picture is awful! You can barley see the etch, but this is the best one I could get, my camera is not very high quality. But, I promise, it looks good from where I'm sitting.

Have a great weekend everyone and if you have time to etch please let me know! I would love to learn how your experience went and any tips you might have! Until next time! Have a good one!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great!!! I haven't done any etching in years...this really makes me want to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ssooooo cute!!! I love this kind of stuff, Kels!!! POST MORE POST MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm gonna try something:

    draw swirlies (favorite pattern) into my candle jar with a heavy wax crayon.

    paint etchy on, as instructed.

    when etchy is removed, blow jar with heat gun to melt wax away. I bet the wax would protect the swirlies from the etchy and give it a really cool look! Will post pics of finished product soon! :) Thanks for idea.

    ReplyDelete