Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Candy Apples R.I.P.

A few days ago my BCM was having a costume party and we were all supposed to bring a little treat for everyone. I wanted to be adventurous and try something new, I guess so I could blog about it. I am NOT an experienced cook or candy maker, but I thought this could be a task that I could take on and hopefully, eventually, become a pro at! What is needed:
Apples
Corn Syrup
Sugar
Food Coloring, if you want.
Popsickle sticks
Next, stick the apples and get them all laid out on a pan. It's candy time.

Mix, 2 cups of sugar and 3/4 of a cup corn syrup, followed by a couple of drops of food coloring. Heat to a boil.

After reaching a boil, turn the candy down to medium heat and allow the candy to boil. Try not to stir because this does something to the candy; I'm not sure what, but, the instructions strongly suggested avoiding stirring after the candy has boiled. Using a candy thermometer, candy should heat to 290 degrees.
Double, Double, Toil, in trouble.


After heating the mixture to 290 degrees, remove candy from the heat and begin slapping it on the apples! Using a pastry brush or just by rolling the apple in the candy.
This is when it all went wrong. After applying my candy mixture to the apples the candy began to harden like it was supposed to, I am not sure if I wasn't applying quickly enough or if my mix was bad; but, my candy began to turn hard pretty quickly after the first 6 apples. Then, when I stuck them to the tin foil it molded to the tin foil and the foil could NOT be removed.

Am I destined for failure in the candy making world or are there simple things I can do to avoid this problem next time? For all you candy makers out there, what do you suggest? I want to try again,but I do want it to be a success! Help!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment