Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Project Girl Compeleted

I am not a great artist, but I do enjoy painting, drawing, sketching, molding...and, I l-o-v-e looking at other people's work. That is where the true talent lye's, right? A few days ago I was doing some web surfing for some ideas for DIY projects for J and I, things that we could make for our home and save lots of moolah. Well, needless to say...I got inspired. Which is rare and I was excited, thrilled actually, as I began to work on the first actually art project not required, but for the pure enjoyment of painting and drawing. I decided I would recreate a painting I saw on a t-shirt website, the artist is amazing.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money, I am on a tight budget after all. So, I decided I would wait until paint went on sale at Hobby Lobby. I didn't realize how much I am in Hobby Lobby, but actually going to Hobby Lobby has become a hobby. Interesting. On Tuesday, I decided I'd swing by and check it out, when I walked in and grabbed the usual coupon sheet there was wonderful news. Acrylic paint was on sale for 77 cents. Hooray! I would never find it that cheap at Wal-Mart. Whoo-hoo! Since paint was on sale I decided to go ahead with Project Girl and get my paint on.
I had some left over foam board from J's costume that I decided to use for my canvas, I didn't want to spend money on a canvas (even though at HB this week canvas's are 40% off, but even still...out of my budget) so I jiggled for joy when I realized I found a penny saver for this project. Recycle, recycle, recycle. Using foam board isn't the greatest surface to paint, it's smooth as a baby's bottom, but it is BRIGHT and it doesn't absorb paint well. Therefore, Project Girl took about...forever. Painting 3 coats for the background, three for her hair, and two for the white in her hair and her profile.
I chose the mustard yellow, chocolate brown, and buttermilk (that was the name of the paint, it kind of grossed me out) white for my palate. I like these colors because, I wanted neutral, fall, tones but something that would match my room pretty well.
After all was said and done, this is what I came up with.

Sorry the lamp is blocking the full picture, but you get the idea. It was a lot of fun painting Project Girl, I haven't really ever felt inspired outside of the required projects in my classes. I was excited to do something that came from pictures and other works that I saw on the Internet.

The artist that inspired me did just about the same project. Honestly, I just recreated what I saw and added a few personal touches of my own. I want to give credit where credit is due! But, I don't know who did it, I was googling some t-shirts and found t-shirts at Dream of Stars, really innovative stuff! So whoever designed Project Girl, way to go, thanks for the inspiration and letting me borrow her profile! I love it and I promise, I am not going to sale it!Project Girl gives my room warmth and light, it's different walking into my room now with a large painting on the wall, but I'm loving it so far! Thanks again to Dream of Stars for the inspiration.

1 comment: