Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Order by Numbers: Kitchen

Hi, I'm Kelsey and I am a pet peever. "HI KELSEY." I have a ridiculous amount of pet peeves, it's so ridiculous that they are some-what numbered. For example, when a pet peeve happens I will say "Pet Peeve Number: 152" followed by the pet peeve. My numer uno: People not washing their hands after using the restroom, I see it all the time when I'm in the ladies room...a girl will walk out after relieving herself then she will head out the door like it's no biggie. Gross. Really if there is rude, to me, that is rude. Some of my pet peeves like "hands awareness" make sense, but some are bogus. They range from having a dry sink (I don't like water droplets to stay in the sink) to towels being folded in a tri-fold ( you know 1/3 over, followed by the next 1/3). J has started to pick up on some of these and even though he thinks they are absurd and they are, he's coping. But, let's be honest the hubs is a pet peeve-aholic too and some of his are pretty bizarre. I mean bizarre.
Well when we made the big move into our little abode we had to make organizing a major priority. Before we moved in J brought me to see our apartment, I took a mental picture and with that mental picture I knew exactly where everything was going to go. I'm a proud weirdo. Ok, so I took an inventory of how many plates, bowls, cups, mugs, pots and pans, appliances and Tupperware we were going to be moving into this itsy bitsy kitchen. I'm no know-it-all when it comes to organizing or marriage, but I figured I'd share an inside look on what worked for us and maybe it could help you out if you ever get to a big, organization, rock in the road.

1. When J and I got back from the honeymoon one of our first quests was heading out to by groceries, we realized we really had no space for the food we were going to buy. I had an idea that I thought would work and it did, thank goodness! We bought these two silver beverage buckets at Tar-jet to store food. The buckets have been really helpful; especially for food we do not eat everyday. Hint: J and I were in Home Depot the other day during the Presidents Day Sale and they had these buckets for waaaaay cheaper than Tar-jet...wish we would've know, but now you do!

2. This is a cabinet that holds a lot of extra needs. For example, when J and I got our spice rack we were lacking Garlic Salt so we store our small shaker up top, in the "we don't use this a lot cabinet". There is also tea bags, extra coffee, our Hamburger Helper stash, and some Bisquick.

3. The upper cabinets above the sink has one shelf, the bottom shelf holds all of our smaller appliances. Small crock-pot, food processor, some things the hubs can grill a chicken with and at the very end is my Tupperware holder (as seen on TV!). Three different sizes of Tupperware all sit on the same spinner, makes for easy storage and use! On the top shelf we have more Tupperware and our Pyrex dishes.

4. These canisters were bought on the cheap at Wally World. We needed something for sugar, coffee, and flour. We bought these and they work great for storing and keeping all the goodness fresh. Plus, I can actually grab them pretty easily...just a little stretch.

5. Holds all of J's grilling utensils, he was given so many! I'm so happy for spring to come so Bobby Fillet, a.k.a Josh, can get to work!

6. Kitchen Sink Cabinet...cleaning supplies! I'm a nerd whose obsessed with cleaning supplies! I store them all, neatly, here. But, the cabinet runs into the cabinet next to it, so #6 also holds large platters, pitchers, cutting boards and our French press (thanks mom!)

7. A newly installed towel rack! Thanks hubs! Bonus: J and I got a Macy's gift card as a wedding gift and we couldn't be more thankful! Yesterday, we went to the Macy's President's Day Sale and I got a pack of Martha Stewart kitchen towels and a fondue pot with forks! J got a potato masher and some manly glasses (set of 4). We were super stoked!

8. I am thankful for this cabinet! It goes very deep! So deep in fact that it holds all of our pots and pans, our large crock pot, 2 baking dishes and our toaster. Thankfulness can come from anywhere right?

9. Silverware and cooking utensils

10. The good thing about J and mine dishes is that they are extremely storage friendly. The plates stack tightly and the bowls stack...nicely. We could fit all of our plates (salad and dinner) and bowls (soup and salad) in this cabinet.

11. Serving dishes, bowls, platters, etc.

12. Misc. items: Oven mitt, lighter, small hammer, tape

13. Cooking utensils: Measuring cups, spoons, whisk and our new masher call this drawer home.

14. Baking sheets and pans

15. We were blesses with a few beautiful glass pieces, I wanted them to have a safe home. This cabinet is the most out of the way and the least handy. It made sense to put the items that we might not use all the time, but treasure, in these cabinets.

16. Number 15 extended.

Needless to say, everything is in it's place. Whew, thanks goodness!

1 comment:

  1. love your kitchen! next you need a living room or bedroom blog post!

    ReplyDelete